SB Friedman was engaged by the cities of Waukegan and North Chicago to coordinate their joint application to the Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity (DCEO) for the designation of an Enterprise Zone.
The designation of an Enterprise Zone is a competitive process, requiring municipalities to show evidence of community support, a thorough understanding of economic and structural factors, and the ability to coordinate action between government agencies and the private and non-profit sectors. SB Friedman completed the application under very stringent time constraints, working cooperatively with elected officials and municipal employees to finish the application in time and under budget. To accomplish this, the firm performed the following work steps:
- Worked with representatives of Waukegan and North Chicago to develop goals and objectives for the proposed zone.
- Organized and conducted a public hearing in Waukegan on the proposed zone designation.
- Analyzed economic and demographic trends affecting the two communities.
- Projected the economic benefits of the Enterprise Zone.
- Coordinated the enactment of designating ordinances and an intergovernmental agreement between the two communities.
Results: The application was successfully filed with the Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity in December 2005. The application was approved by DCEO in the summer of 2006, and the area was designated as an Enterprise Zone.