Location: Chicago, IL
Type: Full-time position
We’re seeking an Associate to work with our growing community development finance team and New Markets Tax Credit (NMTC) practice to support equitable, innovative and impact-driven development projects nationwide. This position will specialize in assignments that focus on underwriting, structuring, and closing financing on high-impact community development projects in low-income communities. Located in Chicago’s Loop, we are a mission-driven advisor specializing in public-private partnerships and development projects that support community revitalization, placemaking and social equity.
The ideal candidate for this position is a curious, critical thinker that enjoys analyzing and presenting on both quantitative and qualitative data as well as developing strong relationships with mission-driven organizations. The successful applicant will be resourceful, comfortable working in unstructured environments, detail oriented, and a very strong communicator. Our team works exclusively on projects in economically distressed areas and strives to incorporate individuals who are committed to understanding the complex challenges facing these communities.
- Assisting our firm’s clients with the approval and closing processes for NMTC transactions
- Assembling due diligence materials and responding to information requests to support the closing process
- Underwriting projects/organizations and preparing underwriting memos
- Supporting efficient closings through coordination with internal and external parties, including attorneys, accountants, funders, and project sponsors
- Reviewing third-party reports and documentation, including, but not limited to, insurance certificates, appraisals/broker opinions of value, environmental reports, financial projections, prior expenditure documentation, settlement statements, closing transfer memos, etc.
- Communicating and building relationships with mission-driven investors and borrowers with diverse backgrounds and skillsets
- Working with clients, borrowers, and investors to identify and troubleshoot problems
- Writing and using data to support competitive NMTC applications for submittal to US Treasury
- Developing and improving systems and processes to increase efficiency and quality
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Business Administration, Real Estate, Economics, Urban Planning, Policy, or a related field
- Demonstrated interest in equitable community and economic development, impact investing, socially responsible investing, or related topics
- 1+ year relevant professional experience
- Advanced quantitative analysis skills, particularly using Microsoft Excel
- Strength in interpersonal communication and writing
- Detail orientation and accuracy
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines
Applicants with additional or equivalent combinations of experience/qualifications are encouraged to apply; the firm may tailor the position for the right candidate. If you’re intellectually curious and committed to creating positive change in underserved communities, please apply.
We are focused on the professional success of our employees and offer the following:
- Competitive salary
- Performance-based bonus compensation
- Generous benefits package, including company-paid health and dental insurance, 401k with employer match, vacation, parental leave, and 10+ paid holidays
- Paid membership to a professional organization to encourage professional growth
- Frequent employer-backed volunteering events taking place throughout Chicago
- Regular peer-delivered “brown bag” sessions on topics of professional interest
- Monthly happy hours and staff get-togethers
All applicants will be afforded equal opportunity without discrimination because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, order of protection status, marital status, physical or mental disability unrelated to ability, military status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, or unfavorable discharge from military service.
Please respond by submitting a cover letter and resume by email to Tony Smith at email@example.com. Please include “Associate – Community Development Finance” in the subject line. In your cover letter, please describe your experience and/or interest in community development and empowering marginalized communities as well as how your background has prepared you to succeed in this position.