Location: Chicago, Illinois
Type: Full-time position
We’re seeking an Associate to work with our growing community development finance team and New Markets Tax Credit (NMTC) practice to support innovative, impact-driven development projects nationwide. This position will specialize in assignments that focus on underwriting, structuring, and closing financing on high-impact community development projects in low-income communities. Located in Chicago’s Loop, we are a mission-driven advisor specializing in public-private partnerships and development projects that support community revitalization, placemaking and social equity
The ideal candidate for this position is a curious, critical thinker that enjoys digging into quantitative data and qualitative information and presenting findings in clear, logical writing. The successful applicant will be resourceful, comfortable working in unstructured environments, detail oriented, and a very strong communicator. If you’re intellectually curious and committed to creating positive change in underserved communities, please apply.
- Assisting high-impact projects access flexible, below-market financing tools
- Reviewing potential projects that could benefit from NMTC financing and other financing tools and maintaining pipeline reports
- Underwriting projects/organizations and preparing underwriting memos
- Structuring complex financial transactions
- Drafting and reviewing term sheets and letters of interest for NMTC commitments and third-party funding
- Supporting efficient closings through coordination with internal and external parties, including attorneys, accountants, funders, and project sponsors
- Review third-party reports and documentation, including, but not limited to, insurance certificates, appraisals/broker opinions of value, environmental reports, financial projections, prior expenditure documentation, settlement statements, closing transfer memos, etc.
- Communicating and building relationships with mission-driven clients, borrowers, and investors
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Business Administration, Real Estate, Economics, or a related field
- Demonstrated interest in impact investing, socially responsible investing, community and economic development, or related topics either through coursework, work experience, or volunteering
- 2+ year relevant professional experience
- Advanced quantitative analysis skills, particularly using Microsoft Excel
- Exception writing skills
- Strength in oral communication and interpersonal skills
- Detail orientation and accuracy
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines
- A Master’s degree in Urban Planning/Economic Development, Real Estate, Business Administration, or a related field
- 3+ years of relevant professional experience
- Demonstrated experience in related fields, such tax credit finance, real estate financial analysis, or real estate development.
Applicants with additional or equivalent combinations of experience/qualifications are encouraged to apply; the firm may tailor the position for the right candidate.
We are focused on the professional success of our employees and offer the following:
- Competitive salary
- Performance-based bonus compensation
- Generous benefits packages, including company-paid health and dental insurance, 401k with employer match, vacation, and 10+ paid holidays
- Paid membership to professional organization to encourage professional growth
- Regular peer-delivered “brown bag” sessions on topics of professional interest
- Monthly happy hours and staff get-togethers
- Recently renovated offices overlooking the Chicago River in the Loop
All applicants will be afforded equal opportunity without discrimination because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, order of protection status, marital status, physical or mental disability unrelated to ability, military status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, or unfavorable discharge from military service.
Please upload a cover letter, resume and a written sample of your professional work (preferably in PDF format) addressed to Ryan Hagerty. Please include “Associate – Community Development Finance” in the “Job Title” field.