Location: Chicago, IL
Type: Full-time position
We are seeking an Associate to work with our growing New Markets Tax Credit (NMTC) practice to support equitable, innovative and impact-driven development projects nationwide. Located in Chicago’s Loop, SB Friedman is a mission-driven advisor specializing in public-private partnerships and development projects that support community revitalization, placemaking and social equity.
The ideal candidate for this position is a curious, critical thinker that enjoys analyzing and presenting on both quantitative and qualitative data as well as developing strong relationships with mission-driven organizations. The successful applicant will be resourceful, comfortable working in unstructured environments, detail oriented, and a very strong communicator. Our team works exclusively on projects in economically distressed areas and strives to incorporate individuals who are committed to understanding the complex challenges facing these communities. Direct experience or training in all areas of work and key responsibilities listed here is not required. If you are intellectually curious and committed to creating positive change, please apply.
- Writing and using data to support competitive NMTC applications for submittal to US Treasury
- Measuring, analyzing, and reporting community impacts of projects
- Reviewing potential projects that could benefit from NMTC financing
- Assisting our firm’s clients with the approval and closing processes for NMTC transactions
- Assembling and reviewing due diligence materials and responding to information requests to support the closing process
- Underwriting projects/organizations and preparing underwriting memos
- Supporting efficient closings through coordination with internal and external parties, including attorneys, accountants, funders, and project sponsors
- Communicating and building relationships with mission-driven investors and borrowers with diverse backgrounds and skillsets
- Working with clients, borrowers, and investors to identify and troubleshoot problems
- Developing and improving systems and processes to increase efficiency and quality
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Economics, Finance, Policy, Real Estate, Urban Planning, or a related field
- Demonstrated interest in equitable community and economic development, impact investing, socially responsible investing, or related topics
- 1+ year relevant experience (including internships and analogous work experiences)
- Strong quantitative analysis skills, particularly using Microsoft Excel
- Strength in interpersonal communication and writing
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines
Applicants with additional or equivalent combinations of experience/qualifications are encouraged to apply; the firm may tailor the position for the right candidate.
We are focused on the professional success of our employees and offer the following:
- Competitive salary
- Performance-based bonus compensation
- Generous benefits package, including company-paid health and dental insurance, 401k with employer match, vacation, parental leave, and 10+ paid holidays
- Paid membership to a professional organization to encourage professional growth
- Frequent employer-backed volunteering events taking place throughout Chicago
- Company-sponsored charitable donation matching program
- Regular peer-delivered “brown bag” sessions on topics of professional interest
- Monthly happy hours and staff get-togethers
All applicants will be afforded equal opportunity without discrimination because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, order of protection status, marital status, physical or mental disability unrelated to ability, military status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, or unfavorable discharge from military service.
Please respond by submitting a cover letter and resume by email to Christine Brown at email@example.com. Please include “Associate – Community Development” in the subject line. Please address your experience working with underserved communities, either personally or professionally, in your cover letter.