Location: Chicago, Illinois
Type: Full-time position
Category: Community/Economic Development, Development Finance, Economics/Finance Research
Experience: 1-3 years
We are seeking an Associate to work with our general practice team to help our clients create equitable, resilient and well-designed communities through the practice of real estate economics, development finance and urban planning. This position will assist in the planning and implementation of complex public-private real estate development projects nationally, with a focus on the Midwest. In this role, you will have the opportunity to support high-impact development at various points in the life cycle of projects from initial conception through implementation. You will help evaluate development potential and financial and business impacts; project market and financial feasibility; identify innovative public-private development solutions; and prepare implementable development strategies. As a mission-driven firm, we serve a full range of clients in the public, private and nonprofit/institutional sectors. We seek team members who are committed to understanding the complex challenges facing each community and excited about developing creative solutions.
The ideal candidate for this position is a curious critical thinker that enjoys analyzing quantitative and qualitative data. The successful candidate will be able to sift, organize, analyze, and synthesize various data in a timely manner, ask thoughtful questions, draw reasonable conclusions and/or recommendations from the analysis and compose compelling narratives and visuals for client deliverables.
- Gathering and analyzing complex data and conducting technical analyses, including:
- Utilizing proprietary and publicly available data to conduct socioeconomic and demographic analyses
- Assessing competitive supply factors and demand generators to evaluate real estate market potential
- Developing real estate pro formas to assess financial feasibility;
- Preparing tax projections to inform public finance and public-private partnership opportunities;
- Conducting spatial analysis with tools such as Esri Business Analyst, ArcGIS, QGIS; and
- Conducting economic impact analyses with tools such as IMPLAN and/or EMSI
- Preparing key deliverables (presentations, technical memoranda; graphically-oriented briefing books and reports);
- Working collaboratively with project managers and teams while balancing multiple projects at one time; and
- Developing and improving systems and processes to increase efficiency and quality.
- Graduate degree in urban planning, business or real estate or Bachelor’s degree plus relevant professional experience
- Demonstrated interest in market-based urban planning, public-private partnerships, community and economic development or related topics
- Advanced quantitative analysis skills, particularly using Microsoft Excel
- Strength in oral communication, interpersonal skills and writing ability
- Experience with GIS
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and effectively work with multiple managers
- Detail orientation and accuracy
- A driver's license (within six months of start)
We are focused on the professional success of our employees and offer the following:
- Competitive salary
- Performance-based bonus compensation
- Hybrid in-office and remote work policy (anticipated to begin 1/3/22)
- Generous benefits package, including company-paid health and dental insurance, 401k with employer match, vacation, parental leave, and 10+ paid holidays
- Paid membership to a professional organization to encourage professional growth
- Frequent employer-backed volunteering events taking place throughout Chicago and corporate matching of charitable donations
- Regular peer-delivered “brown bag” sessions on topics of professional interest
- Monthly happy hours and staff get-togethers
All applicants will be afforded equal opportunity without discrimination because of race, color, religion, gender, including gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, order of protection status, marital status, familial status, parental status, physical or mental disability unrelated to ability, pregnancy, political affiliation, military status, or unfavorable discharge from military service.
Please email the following documents to Lance Dorn at email@example.com. Please include "Associate Position" in the subject line.
- Cover letter
- Written sample of your professional work
Writing samples should be primarily authored by the applicant; if a team project is submitted, clearly indicate the responsibilities and contributions of the applicant. Incomplete submittals or submittals in other formats may not be considered or reviewed.